This recipe is for anyone who thinks you can’t make a wonderful chocolate dessert without eggs and butter. Caitlin Horrock’s sister, Mary, was vegan for a time and Caitlin dug out her notes on the birthday cakes she used to make. So glad she did! This recipe is adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook’s “Six Minute Chocolate Cake, another version of which can be found here. We got cupcakes and they were delicious.
Mary’s Birthday Cake
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cold water or 1 cup brewed coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vinegar
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar directly into the cake pan.
3) In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure and mix the oil, water or coffee and vanilla.
4) Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking tin and mix the batter with a fork or small whisk.
5) When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. Pale swirls will occur where the vinegar and baking soda react. Stir just until the vinegar is even distributed throughout the batter.
6) Bake for 25-30 minutes. Set aside the cake to cool. If making cupcakes, bake at 375 for 20 minutes using paper liners.
8 oz. melted semisweet chocolate
2/3 c. brewed coffee
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ to 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
Mix and then chill for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally and, if necessary, adding confectioner’s sugar, until frosting is at spreading consistency.