Medha makes delicious chutney. Here is her recipe for the green goodness she served with her vegetable patties at the supper club in March. (including our first attempt at a cooking video!) Hey, you gotta start somewhere!
1 cup peanut butter. (I use roasted peanuts; method given below)
½ bunch Cilantro leaves, washed
Curry leaves (optional)
2-3 Jalapeños or green chiles (I used thai bird chiles)
1-2 teaspoons brown sugar
Grind all the ingredients into a fine paste by adding little water. Transfer into a bowl. Squeeze lime and mix well.
You can buy Curry leaves and Hot & Sweet tomato chili sauce (which we put on our vegetable patties) from any of these Indian grocery stores:
Spice of India
1310 28th Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49508-1408
Phone: (616) 245-6654
1971 E Beltline Ave NE, STE 104
Grand Rapids, MI – 49525
How to Roast Raw Unsalted Peanuts:
(1) Wash/ rinse one cup of raw unsalted peanuts (available in Indian or Asian grocery stores) to remove any preservatives.
(2) Microwave in a quart/ bigger container to have a thin layer with enough room to mix. The peanuts at the bottom tend to get roasted faster in our microwave so Parag zaps in three half-power cycles of 5 minutes, 3 minutes, and 3 minutes, mixing the top and bottom layers of peanuts after every stage.
(3) Cycle times may deviate on your microwave, so check the attached pictures. Peanuts typically darken one whole shade after cooling for about an hour. If the skin rubs off, then the peanuts are well roasted.
(4) Grind in coffee grinder.
Place an iron skillet on stove top and on medium heat, slowly roast the raw unsalted peanuts to golden brown color.
Potatoes—boiled and grated
Potato is going to hold the vegetables together so quantity should be slightly more than all the vegetables combined.
Cauliflower—finely chopped into small florets
Green Beans—thinly sliced
Green Peas—slightly crushed
You can also add more vegetables of your choice (Example: Spinach, Broccoli, Kale, mushrooms, etc.)
Cilantro—chopped and divided in two parts
Bread crumbs—I used Meijer’s Italian verity
Olive oil to shallow fry
(1) With a fork poke potatoes at two-three places. Boil whole and then keep aside on a napkin to cool down and dry.
(2) Put finely chopped green beans, cauliflower florets, and grated carrots in a glass bowl. Add two/three drops of oil, mix, and microwave for two minutes. Keep aside.
(3) Remove potato skins and grate/mash potatoes.
(4) Prepare green masala: Use blender to make a paste of green chilies, little salt, sugar, and one part of chopped cilantro.
(5) In a large bowl mix grated potatoes, microwaved vegetables, crushed green peas, chopped onion, remaining cilantro, and green masala. Mix well kneading with hand.
(6) Shape into patties: Divide into equal portions and shape into balls. Roll into bread crumbs and shape into patties. I pressed patties in a cookie cutter to make heart shapes.
(7) Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
(8) Heat a nonstick skillet on a medium flame. Shallow fry patties in a few drops of oil and brown undisturbed for 1-2 minutes before flipping over; about 1-2 minutes on both the sides until they turn golden brown and slightly crisp.
(9) Serve hot with green chutney and Hot & Sweet tomato chili sauce (available in Indian grocery stores.)