One of my very best friends called in a panic from Georgia hoping my husband Roger would have an Indian dish for her to make for a special dinner party. Roger is an accomplished Indian cook, having studied with an Indian caterer in her kitchen. Narbada never used any measurements, so he had to follow her everywhere with a notepad (this makes getting recipes out of him a bit difficult. Here’s a classic. It’s so good! Amy’s party was divine. If you’ve never made Indian food, but love it, go to a specialty store and buy these ingredients. They are much cheaper than at a regular grocery store. Use the flavors you love. Make it as hot as you like.
4 T oil
4 T broken cashews
2 T golden raisins
2 bay leaves
2 in. cinnamon stick
6 cardamom pods
14 whole cloves
½ t. white peppercorns
½ c. broken cashews
4 medium onions, chopped
4 T chopped ginger
4 T chopped garlic
Green chilies, chopped
1 T cumin powder
2 T coriander powder
Red chili powder
10 oz. coconut milk
1 c. vegan yogurt
14 oz. cubed tofu
2 large tomatoes
4 carrots, sliced/cubed
4 c. cauliflower, in small pieces
4 medium potatoes, cubed
2 c. frozen peas
2 c. green beans, in 1-in. pieces
1 c. cilantro, chopped
4 c. water
• Brown 4 T cashews and raisins in the oil, then remove them, leaving the oil.
• Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, peppercorn, and ½ c. cashews.
• Add onions and salt, and then turmeric. Stir, etc.
• In micro bowl, add cauliflower, peas, and carrots, with a little salt. Mix and add 1 c. water, cover, and microwave for 3 minutes, mix it up, and go another 2 minutes. Cook to firm.
• To onions, add ginger, garlic, and chilies. Stir and cook a bit. Let it cool down before grinding.
• Transfer micro veggies into a larger bowl. In the original micro bowl, add potatoes, salt, and about ½ c. water. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring after about 3 minutes.
• Add potatoes and water to veggies. Add green beans, lightly salt, and add ½ c. more water.
• Grind onion mixture, and then return to pan. Cook, stirring, and then add cumin, coriander, and chili powders. Add about ½ c. water to the mixture as it cooks.
• Add the tofu and chopped tomatoes, cooking a bit more.
• Add coconut milk and mix it all in.
• Add yogurt, a little bit at a time, stirring and cooking.
• Add vegetable and mix all together. You can add more water if you need it. Bring to boil, cook for about 5 minutes.
• Add chopped cilantro and the fried cashews and raisins.